But we do know one thing that will be released soon and that is iOS 6. iOS is the operating system on the Apple iDevice product line. We are currently at version 5.1.1 and iOS 6 will be available very soon.
I am sharing this link from Apple that explains features of iOS 6 if you want to take a sneak peek into what this new operating system includes: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, we see some sad news about this new iOS: it will not be compatible with the first generation of iPhone, first generation iPad and older versions of iPod Touch. This doesn’t mean those devices will not work at all with the apps and resources they currently use. It just means they will may work with the new iOS. It also means that as apps upgrade to work in the new iOS, they ones on the first generation devices will not upgrade.
So how does someone update their device?
Before updating, there are two things to consider:
1. Backup– you always want to make sure you have backed-up what you have on your device.This is true for any major operating system upgrade. Backup what you have just in case something goes wrong.
2. Prepare for failure – A new iOS means lots of cool new features, but it also means no one has really tested it out to make sure there aren’t bugs. Being one ofthe first to install an upgrade means you get to be one of the first to experience the bugs. Bugs include apps not working that used to work before you upgraded, loss of data, faster battery power loss (due to a software miscalculation of power consumption) and even antennae issues with connecting to a WIFI or cellular network. You may or may not experience bugs. Such is the nature of upgrades!
So think before you leap! But if you do leap or you wait until some bugs are reported and fixed, here are the steps for installing a new iOS to an Apple device:
1. Connect your device to a power source and make sure it is connected to a WIFI Internet source.
2. Go to Settings, General, Software Update
a. If an update is available, there is usually a “1” in a dark grey circle to show an iOS update is available.
3. If the update is available, it will show in this section. Tap “Download” to download.
a. You can download the update and then do the install later if you choose. Or go to step 4 to install the update.
4. After the download has completed, tap “Install”to update the iOS.
a. It will take several minutes to install and will usually restart your device a few times to fully install. This is why connecting it to a power source is important.
Feel free to share this post if you feel it would be helpful with anyone who uses iOS devices.